The Lawton Memorial Library is currently seeking Library Assistant/Youth Services applicants. The position is an average of 22 hours per week with a starting wage of $15.00 per hour.
Library Assistant/Youth Services has various duties and responsibilities. These duties are important to keep the library running smoothly as they assist the Director.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following list.
- Conduct all opening and closing procedures
- Loan library materials to patrons and collect the returned materials
- Place holds and handle loans between libraries
- Organize and reshelve returned items
- Handle the registration of new library cardholders and issue library cards.
- Help process and repair library material
- Assist patrons on how to use the library resources, including the OPAC (Online Personal Access Computer).
- Answer any questions from patrons
- Troubleshoot IT issues on public computers
- Perform routine tasks such as answering phone calls and general collection organization
- Use and maintain computer library database (ILS) to help locate library materials.
- Share responsibility in planning youth events with Director. Events would include the following: Weekly Storytime, Summer Reading, Take & Make Bags and any other children’s events.
- Assist with all other programming as needed.
- The job includes minimal evening hours and every other Saturday.
The following are important skills for a Library Assistant to have:
- Library Assistants will encounter the public daily, helping them find books and check them out. Interpersonal skills are very important.
- Library Assistants also use library software daily to help people look for material, as well as maintain the library’s database.
- Library Assistants need to listen to the patrons who need their help, answer their questions clearly and teach them how to use the resources. They also must follow instructions from the librarian.
- Library Assistants must be detail-oriented in order to make sure information and material is shelved correctly.
- Processing library materials requires attention to detail.
Education and Other Requirements
- High School Diploma
- Higher education is desirable
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Products
- Knowledge of WordPress a plus
Library Assistant Experience Requirements
Library Assistants can get on-the-job training from a librarian to understand the work they will be doing. It is a plus to already have previous experience as an assistant in an office, business or non-profit as there will be responsibilities that correlate with each other. Previous library experience would be desirable.
Good Library Assistants are friendly to patrons and knowledgeable about how libraries are organized. They are passionate about serving their community and making information accessible to others. The best Library Assistants have career aspirations to eventually become a Librarian and grow their knowledge. Successful Library Assistants like to read and recommend books to others. They are highly organized and pay attention to small details when shelving books, ensuring that they place each item in its proper place so the next patron can easily find what they are looking for.
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and completed application ( link below) to email@example.com Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but preference will be given to applications received by Monday, February 13, 2023.
Lawton Memorial Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
STORYTIME WILL START AGAIN ON FEBRUARY 7th.
New to Winding Rivers Library System!
Just Click the link above to get started. Can only be accessed on library computers.
We are now a FamilySearch Affiliate Library
If you want to be part of the popular ancestry search trend, you may not need to look any further than the local library. The Lawton Memorial Library is now a FamilySearch Affiliate Library, which means it has access to more genealogy resources to help you make more family discoveries. FamilySearch is a world leader in family history.
There are only a few hundred affiliate libraries in the country. The designation means local library patrons will now have greater and more convenient access to the wealth of genealogical resources available through FamilySearch. The popular web service has over 6 billion searchable names and 2 billion images of historical genealogical records—and you get the helpful assistance of library staff.
FamilySearch adds over 300 million free genealogical records and images online yearly from all over the world and manages the famous Family History Library in Salt Lake City. It has amassed billions of birth, marriage, death, census, land and court records from more than 130 countries to help you discover and make family connections.
FAMILYSEARCH GENEALOGY RESOURCE CAN ONLY BE ACCESSED IN THE LAWTON MEMORIAL LIBRARY AND OTHER PARTICIPATING LIBRARIES.
Our Page Turner’s meet the first Wednesday of each month to talk about our book for that month. If you are not currently on our email list but would like to join our book discussion please email the Library at firstname.lastname@example.org.